In this post, we’ll talk about Tuvalu. We’ll learn about Tuvalu people, Tuvalu language, Tuvalu religion, Tuvalu map, and we’ll be checking if Tuvalu is a country or a city, if Tuvalu is safe to visit, what to do in Tuvalu while you are there, sightseeing places to visit in Tuvalu!
Introduction to Tuvalu
Oceania has a lot of beautiful Island countries in it. The only beaches that can compete with Oceanic beaches are the Caribbeans ones! However, Oceanic countries never had the chance to get known as much as the Caribbeans countries.
Tuvalu is a completely underrated paradise located in Oceania. Tuvalu is the least visited country in the world with less than 2,000 visitors every year. We’ll show you what you’ll miss if you don’t visit Tuvalu!
Recent history of Tuvalu
Tuvalu colonization by the UK
Tuvalu was colonized by the UK from 1892 to 1916. Then, the Britons kind of took it easy on Tuvaluans but as the second world war (WWII) began, Tuvalu was unofficially getting used in favor of the Allies against the Japanese forces who were annexing the Island countries of Oceania one after another.
Tuvalu independence from the UK
After WWII, the UK gave the Tuvaluans the option to whether remain a British overseas territory or become an independent country in a referendum for independence in Tuvalu. People in Tuvalu voted in favor of independence and eventually, Tuvalu gained its independence from the UK on October 1, 1978.
People in Tuvalu
Ethnic groups in Tuvalu
Tuvalu has a population of 11,192 people, making Tuvalu, one of the least populated countries in the world as 196th! Out of Tuvalu’s small population, more than 96% are Polynesian, whereas the remaining 4% of Tuvaluans are Micronesian.
Official language in Tuvalu
Tuvalu has two official languages, English and Tuvaluan. Tuvaluan is a Polynesian language, related to other Polynesian languages such as Samoan and Hawaiian.
Religion in Tuvalu
More than 97% of people in Tuvalu identify as Christian, but Tuvalu’s civil law grants the freedom of religion for its citizens. Bahá’ísm is the largest minority religion and the largest non-Christian religion in Tuvalu.
.tv internet domain belongs to Tuvalu
Believe it or not, a big chunk of Tuvalu’s $32 million comes from Tuvalu’s internet domain .tv as tons of entertainment-related companies need .tv for their websites.
What to do in Tuvalu
Tuvalu has the least amount of visitors in the world
Tuvalu gets less than 2000 visitors each year, and out of these visitors most of them are in Tuvalu for business! For example in 2010, only 360 people visited Tuvalu as a tourist.
Book Tuvalu beach resorts and hotels
Tuvalu is an island country, in Oceania, made up of three reef islands and six true atolls. Tuvalu beaches are wonderful with white sand and blue water.
Climate change in Tuvalu
similar to Kiribati, Tuvalu is disappearing due to climate changes and the rising of sea level in the Tuvaluan islands. You might not have the chance to visit Tuvalu anymore in less than 30 years.
Funafuti International Airport in Tuvalu
The main playground for Tuvalu’s children and young adults is Tuvalu’s airport. The landing board of Tuvalu’s airport (Funafuti International Airport) operates for landing airplanes such as Tuvalu airlines, but in the afternoon it transforms into a large playground for Tuvaluan children and young adults where they play soccer and Volleyball. If you ever visit Tuvalu, don’t forget to visit Tuvalu’s airport in the afternoons when it’s full of smiles and excitement.