In this post, we’ll talk about Tunisia. We’ll learn about Tunisia people, Tunisia language, Tunisia religion, Tunisia map, and we’ll be checking if Tunisia is a country or a city, if Tunisia is safe to visit, what to do in Tunisia while you are there, sightseeing places to visit in Tunisia!
Introduction to Tunisia
When thinking about the Arab world, the first thing that comes to mind is Arabian oil, Arabian money, and luxury Arabic fantasies but no one thinks of things like Democracy. well, Tunisia is here to show you an Arabic country you’ve never seen,
Recent history of Tunisia
Tunisia’s colonization by France
Tunisia had been colonized by France for about 75 years which is enough to heavily influence a country’s culture.
Tunisia’s colonization by Germany
In 1942, Germany took over Tunisia by forcing the French army out but it didn’t last more than a year and again, France could get Tunisia back with Britain’s help.
Tunisia’s independence from France
Tunisia officially gained its independence on 20 March 1956 from France.
Tunisia after independence until 2011
After independence, Tunisia became a dictatorship for a long time until Tunisians started an uprising in 2010 which became famous as “Arab Spring” and soon flamed other Arabic countries’ societies. The Arab spring was not a success in some areas (such as in Syria where it eventually turned into civil war) but it worked well for Tunisia itself.
Tunisia’s Freefom after 2011 Arab uprising
After about a year, Tunisians could bring down their dictator and move towards democracy. Now Tunisia is the only democracy in North Africa, and even better, Tunisia is the only democratic country in the Arab world.
People in Tunisia
Ethnic groups in Tunisia
Tunisians are all of Arabic and Berber descendants. During the colonial period, more than 255,000 Europeans and Jews lived in Tunisia, however, almost all of them left after Tunisia’s independence from France.
Tunisia has a population of more than 11.7 people.
Official language in Tunisia
Language is kind of a funny thing in Tunisia! Even though Arabic is the only official language in Tunisia, everyone in the country can speak in French, some can speak English, and even German and Italian aren’t uncommon! Tunisians are humanized Google Translate!
Religion in Tunisia
More than 98% of the 11.7 million Tunisians are Muslim. The other 2% belongs to Christianity and Judaism. However, a lot of Tunisian women don’t wear hijab. In fact, Tunisia is a very safe country for women, including solo women travelers who like to visit Tunisia.
What to do in Tunisia
Visit Tunis, the capital of Tunisia
Tunis is Tunisia’s capital and largest city. walking in this city’s streets and alleys makes you feel like you’re in Europe. Tunis is so rich in history, cuisine, and architecture. You’ll never forget your memories of beautiful places and people’s hospitality in Tunis.
Tunis is one of the most favorite cities in all of Africa.
Amphitheatre of El Jem in Tunisia
Tunisia has tons of historical places from different eras of the mankind’s history. Amphitheatre of El Jem in the city of El Djem, Tunisia is a Roman Amphitheatre and could find its way iin UNESCO World Heritage Sites list.
Try Tunisian cuisine
One of the main things every traveler loves about Tunisia is Tunisian cuisine. It’s a mixture of European, African, and Arabic cuisine and full of the flavors that you’ve never tasted before in your life like Tunisian pastries and Tunisian Couscous.
7 thoughts on “The Ultimate Travel Guide to Tunisia”
Another beautiful country in Africa. Your blogs must be promoting tourism in Africa
I know! Their tourism boards should pay me for this 😂
Yes, you deserve to be paid for rendering such valuable services! 😆😆😆😆
Thank you very much for your comment! 😊
I heard about Tunisia in Where to Invade Next by Michael Moore and it’s definitely fascinating!
Great! Glad you liked it!😊
Very thorough article!Makes me more interested in going to Tunisia.