Tajikistan, the heart of Central Asia Explained

In this post, we’ll talk about the heart of central asia where you’ll find Asia’s most hospital people. We’ll learn about Tajikistan people, Tajikistan language, Tajikistan religion, Tajikistan map, and we’ll be checking if Tajikistan is a country or a city, if Tajikistan is safe to visit, what to do in Tajikistan while you are there, sightseeing places to visit in Tajikistan!

Introduction to Tajikistan

Central Asia is a fascinating region with beautiful countries such as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan. For unknown reasons, even though Central Asian countries are among the cheapest countries in the world to explore and have a lot to offer, they’re underrated and unknown to international tourism.
Each of these countries has its unique identity which is very interesting to discover.
Tajikistan is one of the most beautiful, yet untouched countries in the world where you can have lots of fun with a fraction of the price, in your mind! Exploring Tajikistan won’t rip off your pocket! What’s better than a cheap trip, with tons of good memories to take back home?

Let’s learn more about Tajikistan by explaining the recent history of Tajikistan.

Recent history of Tajikistan

Tajikistan was a USSR state

When USSR was formed, Tajikistan became a member of the Soviet Union and was highly influenced by Russian culture and lifestyle.

Tajikistan independence from the Soviet Union

Followed by the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Tajikistan gained its full independence from the Soviet Union on December 26, 1991, and declared as the Republic of Tajikistan.

Tajikistan, after independence

After independence, the central government had to deal with Islamist groups in eastern Tajikistan several times which was successful, and now the central government of Tajikistan has control over Eastern parts as well.
Although Tajikistan’s government is trying to constantly move forward, it still needs to put a lot of effort to improve its democracy!

People in Tajikistan

Ethnic groups in Tajikistan

Tajikistan has a population of more than 9.2 million people. Most of them identify as Tajik, while there’s a minority of Uzbek and Russians living in Tajikistan as well.

Tajikistan used to host more than 38,000 Germans during the Soviet Union period, but they all left soon after Tajikistan’s independence.

Official language in Tajikistan

Tajikistan’s official language is Tajik which is a dialect of the Persian language (Farsi), the same language that people speak in Iran and parts of Afghanistan.
However, they use Russian widely for business and education and the government recognizes it as an Inter-ethnic language.

Religion in Tajikistan

Tajikistan’s government is secular and grants citizens freedom of religion. About 98% of Tajiks are Muslim, and the remaining 2% are either Christian or Zoroastrian.

Tajikistan used to have a sizable minority of Jews in it called Bukharan Jews but most of them migrated either to Israel or the US. Today, the Jewish community of Tajikistan has about 1000-5000 population.

What to do in Tajikistan

Visit Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan

Dushanbe is a vibrant city and the capital of Tajikistan. The name “Dushanbe” means Monday in Persian and the reason behind Dushanbe’s name is that before becoming a big city, Dushanbe was a small village where was famous for its Monday markets among other people!

Iskanderkul in Tajikistan

Tajikistan has many breathtaking landscapes and one of the most beautiful ones being Iskanderkul with a perfectly blue lake and mountains in the background. Iskanderkul gets its name from the famous Alexander, the Great’s passage in Tajikistan.

Iskander-kul, Tajikistan

Tajikistan National Museum in Tajikistan

Tajikistan National Museum is a massive beautiful building in the capital, Dushanbe with different exhibitions and more than 5000 pieces to showcase Tajikistan’s history and culture.

Credits: Muhammadi Khujandi

Published by Delusional Bubble

Your travel guide to the fantastic unknown places around the world

12 thoughts on “Tajikistan, the heart of Central Asia Explained

  1. Another wonderful piece on a place I would love to see. So far with all these inspiring posts of yours I’ve calculated that I must live to be at least 150yrs old to get everything done that I want to do and see before the end…🙃❤

Leave a Reply